By: Martin Rand, III
Date: February 13, 2012


Last night, the 54th Annual Grammy Award Show aired. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to watch; however, Twitter and Facebook kept me updated with the events of music's biggest night.


Adele was the biggest winner at the 2012 Grammys. She won six Grammys including Album of the Year.

My favorite part of award shows are the winners of awards and seeing who got snub. It doesn't matter what award show it is, there is always someone I feel shouldn't have an award over someone else; and the Grammys are no different.

Here is my recap of the awards given out:


The Good

Obviously, the person who had the best night was British singer Adele. She won every category she was nominated in, including Record ("Rolling In The Deep") and Album (21) of the year, and took home a total of six Grammys. She was rolling in the gold by the end of the night.

Another big winner was Kanye West, who dominated the rap categories. His classic hip-hop album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was award graciously for its high production value, lyrical content, and powerful messages. West won the categories of Rap Song and Collaboration ("All Of The Lights"), Rap Album and others. Yes, all of the lights were shining heavily on West at the Grammys.


The Bad

My bad is J. Cole not winning best new artist. This is by far the biggest snub of the night. His album Cole World: The Sideline Story was one of the best hip-hop albums to come out all last year. The production, content and his performance was near the top of the game and I felt like he should've been rewarded for his efforts.

However, the main reason he should've won over Bon Iver, the band who did win, is because J. Cole is a true new artist in the music industry. Bon Iver has been releasing music since 2008 with their debut For Emma, Forever Ago. After four years in the industry, how can they still be considered a new artist? J. Cole made his label debut less than a year ago in September 2011.

Also, he should've received a nomination for best rap album. The only person nominated who didn't deserve it was Lil' Wayne with The Carter IV. I would've gladly switched The Carter IV for Sideline Story.

The Carter IV is not a quality hip-hop album and was only nominated because it sold a lot of records. Now, if this was the Billboard Awards, I would understand the album getting a nomination; however, I thought the Grammys were about rewarding the highest quality of music in the industry, and The Carter IV falls very short of that bar.


The Weird

The weirdest thing to me was Chris Brown's F.A.M.E. album winning Best R&B Album. Chris Brown cannot sing and shouldn't be rewarded for his studio produced voice. All I know is this, it's a sad day in R&B music when Chris Brown wins album of the year.

Also weird, Rhianna's Loud being nominated for Album of the Year. Really? This boggles my mind, especially when there are other albums (like West's Dark Fantasy) that were better. I just don't get it.

Image Source Here



Do you agree with the winners at the 54th Annual Grammy Award Show?
Yes
No
  
pollcode.com free polls 

Leave a Reply